2018 (8 wk)
Alchemy is an AR concept designed to capture and manipulate inspiration from the physical environment.
Find inspiring physical objects and textures -> seamlessly experiment with them
Current AR/VR Content
Current creative AR/VR tools use existing high fidelity models and materials. These tools create polished, but conventional looking content.
Spatial Object Menu
Waist Level Color/Texture Menu
Gaze selects region
Eye-tracking defines object shape
Gesture completes selection
The gaze region determines the area that the AI processes. When a person becomes interested in the object, the head tends to turn to center the object.
Eye-tracking is useful to determine both the edges of the object and which aspects are interesting within the object.
A hand gesture can help further indicate that users intend to select something, and what they intend to select.
Spatial shelf menu for remembering content location more easily.
Easy throw to delete.
Editing menu options dock around waist.
Early Experimentation (Tested in VR)
• People enjoy colliding the objects together and "smashing" them together.
• "It feels like grilling"/ baking.
• They enjoy mixing colors to create more colors.
• They treat the words as shapes with characteristics.
• They want to also scale up the physical coloring tools.
• They want ownership of the content
• They want to build and combine elements freely.
People value things they are inspired by in reality but oftentimes lose or forget about the content in favor of things that are more convenient to categorize and manipulate.
01. People value things they touch and experience more than things they see digitally.
02. People are increasingly interested in local and heritage-based things.
03. People have stopped taking inspiration images because they get lost in the albums.
04. People like collecting and being rewarded for their curation of things.
05. People feel like they can experiment with things that they captured--- it seems less precious.